The kids may be hungry and busy at this time of day, but I still try to enlist them to help with dinner. While I make the bacon, the kids can chop the tomatoes and lettuce. Did you know you can buy ready-made fresh pizza dough in one pound bags at Heinen’s? Yes you can!
The egg adds a whole new flavor. You’ll want to make it again for breakfast.
- 1 lb ripe, multicolored cherry tomatoes cut into ¼ in. thick slices
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup Helman’s mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic,grated
- 1 pound center cut bacon slices cooked and chopped
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough (deli department at heinen’s)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
Put an egg on it! Make a few sunny side up eggs and lay them atop your pizza. Trust me!
If you don’t want to turn your oven on because it’s a warm day simply grill the pizza outside. Just spray the cooking grates with non stick spray. Grilled pizza tastes even better.
- Place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of an oven and preheat to 450°
- In a bowl, combine the mayo, oil and garlic.
- Using well floured hands, pat dough into a ten inch circle. Place dough on a baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Pierce dough with a fork. Carefully transfer the dough onto the hot pizza stone. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove pizza stone from the oven. Brush mayo mixture over crust leaving a 1 inch border. Top with tomatoes, bacon and cheese. Return pizza to oven for an additional 8-10 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- In another bowl mix the greens with a bit of the garlic Mayo to lightly dress. When pizza comes out of the oven top with the greens. If you are going to try my suggested variation, top the greens with a sunny side up egg.