We lucked out with great weather for grilling this Memorial Day Weekend as friends gathered to kick off the unofficial start of summer. With those grills back in action and Heinen’s Burger Bash coming up next week, today I’m sharing a recipe for a great side that’ll set your grilled burgers ahead of the pack. For this week’s Cooking with Heinen’s post, we’re taking you back to your favorite grade school lunch with a veggie twist on TATER TOTS! Crunchy outside, soft and delicious inside, and, most importantly, dip-able.
Packed with healthy ingredients, VEGGIE TOTS are deceptively delicious. You can have all the tots you want without the guilt of too many calories. These are baked, not fried, yet still have the crunchy exterior and the soft, hot interior. Hallelujah!
If you are just not a fan of cauliflower in any form there’s great news! You can make the exact same recipe by exchanging the cauliflower for sweet potatoes, broccoli or even zucchini. The key is to make sure you squeeze all the moisture out of your veggies. Nobody likes a soggy tot!
Makes about 25 tots
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 large egg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Microwave cauliflower for 3-4 minutes, until cooked but still firm. drain, allow to cool and blend in a food processor.*
- *note: you can also pulse the raw veggies in the food processor, then cook in the microwave. You can even purchase Cauliflower Rice already chopped in the produce section of Heinen’s. I found that 2 packages was a good amount. The important thing is that once cooked you drain ALL THE LIQUID from the veggies. This is best done by putting it into cheese cloth or even a paper towel and wringing it tightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Shape into tots; place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes; turn halfway.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.