It’s that time of year again. Time for football, family gatherings and game day food. Lots of yummy, snacky, cheesy, salty, GAME DAY food! Today I am going to share with you some of my healthier football-food recipes that I make for my family. SCORE! It’s always fun to have a coffee table full of food options when the game starts. And if you are like me, you don’t want to have to actually get up from the couch and risk missing your favorite team make a touchdown so it’s good to have everything in arm’s length. The three recipes I am going to share with you are healthy Spinach & Artichoke Dip, Cauliflower Buffalo “Wing” Bites and a tray of Spicy Chicken Layered Nachos — all perfect for feeding your own crew on game day!
Healthy Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Prep time: 10 mins & Cook time: 25 mins
This recipe tastes like the rich and flavorful chain restaurant dip but is so much lighter and better for you all around…DIP…for the win!
- 4 ounces neufchâtel cheese (you can also use light cream cheese)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained of moisture
- 14 ounce can marinated artichoke quarters, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- red, orange & yellow peppers for dipping
- Small pieces of French bread or pita chips for dipping
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Blend together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, Parmesan-Reggiano cheese, and garlic cloves. (you can use a hand mixer but a spatula and a strong stir work well too!)
- Thaw the spinach and press all of the water out of it. Add the spinach and chopped artichoke hearts to the cheese mixture.
- Put the mixture into a small baking dish and top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is starting to brown, 20-30 minutes. Serve hot with either slices of colorful bell peppers, mini slices of French bread or pita chips. So good and relatively healthy!
The second recipe is sure to cure all of your chicken wing cravings but they are overall WAY more healthy; Cauliflower Buffalo “Wing” Bites!
Cauliflower Buffalo “Wing” Bites
Prep Time – 10 minutes & Cook Time – 30 minutes
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 flour or use 3/4 cup almond flour to make the recipe gluten-free
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup buffalo hot sauce
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (for dipping sauce)
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray your baking sheet with cooking oil.
- In your large bowl, mix the flour, vegetable broth, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Add the cauliflower to the large bowl and gently toss until all the bites are coated.
- Place cauliflower on the baking sheet, shaking off any excess batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is golden brown.
- Coat the warm, roasted cauliflower with the buffalo hot sauce and serve.
- If you have any leftovers these little bites also reheat well in the microwave… for when the game goes into overtime and you need another snack!
- Also, I mixed together equal parts Greek yogurt and blue cheese crumbles for a casual dipping sauce for these, also SO GOOD!
My last and final game day treat would be a tray of spicy chicken layered nachos… sure to please the entire team!
Spicy Chicken Layered Nachos
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1, 28 ounces can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1, 4 ounces can mild green chiles
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 bag of scoop sized tortilla chips
- 1 (15.5 ounces) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- jalapeno slices
- avocado slices
- greek yogurt
- green onions
- To make the spicy chicken, pull apart the rotisserie chicken and mix the chicken with the tomatoes, chiles, garlic, and cumin. Let the mixture sit at room temp for 15 minutes to let all the flavors meld together
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a pan with parchment paper or give it a quick spray of olive oil. Place the chips in a layer on top of the pan. Top the chips with 1 cup of cheese and 1/2 of the beans. Spread spicy chicken on top of the beans. Top the chicken with the remaining cheese and beans. Top the cheese and beans with more chicken.
- Place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven.
- Top with all of the rest of the fun toppings, squeeze a bit of lime juice over everything and serve! Voila!
I hope I gave you three healthy options for your family and friends to enjoy on game day. May the best team win! By the way, these recipes are just as good sitting out at room temperature as they are being warmed up the next day; promise — I’ve tried them. Go team go!