Cool and refreshing salads are a staple summer food. The fresh flavors of tart apple mixed with sweet raisins and nutty pecans makes for a quick and easy spin on a classic summertime favorite!
Start to finish: 20 minutes
Hands on time: 20 minutes
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 lb thinly sliced cabbage, about 6 cups
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and cayenne if using a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the cabbage, apples, pecans and raisins and mix. Taste for seasoning and adjust with more salt and pepper if desired.
Refrigerate for 1 hour and up to 4 hours before serving.
Make-Ahead: Can be refrigerated up to 8 hours before serving without the pecans. Toss in the pecans just before serving.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Carla Snyder at Ravenouskitchen.com