From shelled fresh to sugar snap to snow, the possibilities for pea-inspired recipes are endless. Served with pancetta, blended into a creamy dip for lamb chops, or mixed into a refreshing mimosa, these recipes have us saying “yes, please” to springtime peas.
- Spring Peas with Pancetta
- Grilled Lamb Chops with Fresh Pea, Lemon & Crème Fraiche Dip
- Springtime Mimosa
Spring Peas with Pancetta
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas (in the produce dept.)
- 1 lb. sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1/4 lb. snow peas, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 4 oz. pancetta, chopped
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups Heinen’s Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Heinen’s Heavy Cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Fill a large bowl with ice water. If using fresh peas, add to the boiling water and cook until tender, about 1 minute. Add the snap peas and cook until bright green, about 2 minutes, then add the snow peas and cook 30 seconds. Drain the peas and plunge into the ice water to cool.
- Cook the pancetta in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon. Add the flour to the drippings in the skillet and cook, whisking, until toasted, about 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken broth and cream and cook until reduced by one-third, about 6 minutes.
- Drain the peas, shaking off the excess water, and then add to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the pancetta.
Grilled Lamb Chops with Fresh Pea, Lemon & Crème Fraiche Dip
- 1½ cups shelled fresh peas (in the produce dept.)
- 1/3 cup crème fraiche
- Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Heinen’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 12 trimmed rib lamb chops (French trimmed)
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and then cook the peas for 3 minutes until soft.
- Drain the peas and place them in a food processor with the crème fraiche. Add the zest of the whole lemon and the juice of half of it.
- Puree the dip. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Plus extra lemon juice if needed. Refrigerate until needed.
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Rub the olive oil into the lamb and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chops for 1½ minutes on each side. Let them rest before serving with dip.
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas, blanched and shocked (in the produce dept.)
- 1/2 cup simple syrup
- 1½ oz. elderflower liqueur
- 1 bottle champagne, chilled
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Combine the peas and the cooled Simple Syrup in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add 1 ounce of the pureed sweet pea mixture to each Champagne flute. Add 1/4 ounce of elderflower liqueur to each. Top off with some chilled champagne and a mint leaf for garnish.