Many of us are intimidated by the thought of making a homemade sauce. They really aren’t difficult when you have a great recipe, quality, fresh ingredients and a few minutes to plan ahead. We think you will love a few of our favorite savory and sweet citrus inspired sauce recipes. A perfect finishing touch for seafood, roasted veggies and desserts.
Yield: 1 Cup
- 1 Tbs. finely minced shallots
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbs. dry vermouth
- 1 ½ Tbs fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ½ lb. unsalted butter (room temperature)
- Sea salt and ground white pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, combine onions, vinegar, vermouth and lemon juice.
- Cook rapidly over high heat until liquid has almost all evaporated – about 1-2 minutes.
- Over medium heat, add cream and cook until mixture has reduced and thickened slightly (1-2 minutes).
- Remove pan from heat and set aside until time to serve.
- Just before serving, put sauce on top of another saucepan that is filled with boiling water. Add butter, salt and pepper and whisk just until butter is melted. Serve immediately with fish or steamed or roasted vegetables.
Lemon Butter Sauce
Yield: 1 Cup
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. heavy cream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) well-chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Boil lemon juice in a small saucepan until reduced to a glaze.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in cream.
- Whisk in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh cooked broccoli, asparagus or other cooked vegetables.
Orange Hollandaise Sauce
Yield: 2 Cups
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- ½ lb. unsalted butter
- 6 egg yolks
- Grated orange peel
- In a saucepan, bring orange juice to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until thick and syrupy (10-12 minutes). This will make about ¼ cup. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt butter and heat until bubbly.
- Place egg yolks in a blender or food processor and process for a few seconds.
- With the motor running, add reduced orange juice and orange peel then slowly add butter in a thin stream.
- Process a few more seconds until thick. Perfect over grilled fish, asparagus or a cheese omelet.
Orange Hard Sauce
Yield: 1 Cup
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbs. grated orange peel
- 1 Tbs. orange juice (heated in a microwave for :20 seconds)
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter.
- Beat in sugar a little at a time.
- Add orange peel and warm orange juice and beat mixture until fluffy.
- Transfer to a microwave safe bowl and microwave sauce for :15 seconds until slightly melted and pourable.
- Serve with pound cake or simple white cake.
Yield: 1 ½ cups
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 3 Tbs. water
- In a small pan, prepare a syrup by combining sugar, butter and lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring over medium heat until mixture boils.
- Beat egg with lemon peel and water.
- Beat ¼ cup hot syrup into egg mixture then stir egg mixture into remaining syrup.
- Cook 1 minute until thickened.
- Perfect over sliced fresh fruit.