Now that the Holiday is behind us, we are feeling the need to make healthier choices as we head into the new year. In this weeks “4PM Panic” post I wanted to explore some of the fruits that I see in Heinen’s produce department but have no idea how to enjoy. So for a healthier start to 2016, I’m making a Satsuma Orange and Dragon Fruit Salad with Crumbled Feta.
Among the sunny-colored citrus fruits that brighten Heinen’s produce department during winter, satsumas hit peak season now. Part of the mandarin orange family, which also includes tangerines and clementines, satsumas are one of the sweetest citrus varieties, with a meltingly tender texture. Their moderately thick skin peels off readily, and with easy-to-separate segments, they make convenient and healthful out-of-hand snacks.
Dragon fruit is a beautiful fruit grown in Southeast Asia, Mexico, Central and South America, and Israel. The plant is actually a type of cactus, and the fruit comes in three colors: two have pink skin, but with different colored flesh (one white, the other red), while another type is yellow with white flesh. Dragon fruit is low in calories and offers numerous nutrients, including Vitamin C, phosphorus, calcium, plus fiber and antioxidants. Dragon fruit is sweet and crunchy, with a flavor that’s like a cross between a kiwi and a pear. You simply use a sharp knife to cut off the top and bottom then peel the skin revealing the delicious fruit flesh.
Satsuma and Dragon Fruit Salad with Crumbled Feta
This is a beautiful timeless salad. The vibrant colors and sweetness of the oranges contrast perfectly with the soft salty feta. This salad can be easily be served with sliced grilled chicken or grilled salmon to add protein to your dinner.
- 3 Satsuma oranges
- 1 dragonfruit
- 4 cups of mixed greens such as arugula and mizuna
- 6 ounces of crumbled feta
- Juice of one blood orange
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Peel the oranges and dragon fruit. Thinly slice cross sections of both.
- Arrange the fruit slices on a shallow serving bowl. Top with salad greens and crumbled Feta cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the blood orange juice and olive oil until blended. Drizzle over salad. Salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently, and serve immediately.