Once temperatures start to rise, weekends begin to fill up with parties, cookouts and general plans to enjoy the company of others. Many of those get-togethers involve food and, occasionally, you may be involved in providing it.
We know it can be stressful to decide what to bring, which is why we’ve been providing you with recipes that are perfect for the summer months. Now we’d like to introduce you to some colorful cabbage: Red Napa Cabbage, also known as Chinese Cabbage. Oblong in shape with thick, crisp stems, the red variety is slightly sweeter than its green counterpart and it’s a good source of Zinc, Calcium and Vitamins A and C.
So how should you use it? If you decide to cook with it, the great news is that the color will be retained. We suggest throwing together a great side – cole slaw with a pop of color:
Red Napa Cabbage Slaw
- 1 head Melissa’s Red Napa Cabbage, shredded
- 2 Cup Cabbage, shredded
- 3 Carrots, peeled; shredded
- 1 Cup Red Onion, sliced thin
- 6 Mini Cucumbers, ends trimmed; cut in half lengthwise then crosswise into bite size pieces
- Cole Slaw Dressing (your favorite)
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, cored; diced
- In a large bowl, add the Red Napa Cabbage and the next 4 ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Add the dressing to the slaw and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Makes about 6-8 servings.
Recipe provide by Melissa’s Produce | Recipe by Chef Tom Fraker