The recipe and photography for this post was provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
As someone who focuses heavily on dishes for the main course of a meal, my philosophy when it comes to appetizers is to keep it simple. These Blackened Shrimp and Cucumber Bites fit the bill because they come together in about 15 minutes with just a handful of ingredients (but they look super fancy and taste fresh and delicious).
To add big flavor fast, I’m tossing jumbo peeled shrimp in a Cajun-style seasoning blend. This saves me the step of measuring out multiple spices. Adding a garnish of Vigeo Gardens Microgreens is an easy way to make these apps look elegant, and did you know they’re packed with beneficial nutrients and antioxidants? It’s a win, win.
While these are best assembled just before serving, you can cook the shrimp up to a day in advance and serve chilled atop the cucumber and avocado.
Blackened Shrimp and Cucumber Bites with Spicy Aioli
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Makes 16 pieces
- 1 pound fresh jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon Cajun-style seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 English cucumber, cut at an angle into 16 slices
- 1 avocado, thinly cut into 16 slices
- 1 cup Vigeo Gardens Microgreens Blend
- ½ cup Stonewall Kitchen Sriracha Aioli
- In a bowl, gently toss the shrimp in the seasoning. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through, flipping once. Set aside.
- Arrange cucumber slices on a serving platter. Top each with a slice of avocado, one shrimp and garnish with microgreens. Serve aioli in a small dish for topping.