Let’s go back to my childhood with layered angel food parfaits! I haven’t made these in many years. Heinen’s Bakery makes a delicious angel food cake, so cutting fruit, mixing a few ingredients and assembling is all you have to do. I’m going to give you a few ways to do this.
If you know me, you know I like to make things that can be a bit more challenging. So for these parfaits, I’m giving you options: quick and easy or make it yourself!
A parfait is simply sweet treats layered in a single-serving container. You can use fancy glassware, but today I’m getting ready for a picnic, so I’m using jars with lids. If you would rather put everything in one large bowl, that is called a trifle. Either way it will be delicious.
I’m using angel food cake from Heinen’s, but I’m also using pound cake. Both will work for this recipe. One is more dense and rich (pound cake) and the other light fluffy and sweet (angel food cake). You can cut or tear the cakes into small pieces or use a cookie cutter the size of your jar to make circles for your cake layer.
Usually parfaits are made with fruit, cream and cake. You can use any fresh fruit – blueberries, strawberries, peaches, bananas – the list is up to your taste. You can make it super easy and use pre-packaged whipped cream or you can whip your own. Today, I am adding a layer of sweet cheese filling and a blueberry reduction. I think both are simple, but it all depends on your taste, your time and your occasion. The beauty of this recipe is that it can be fussed over for a dinner party or made by the kids with simple ingredients for a summer treat.
Blueberry Cheesecake Angel Food Parfaits
- 1 angel food cake
- 3 cups blueberries
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Chambord or Creme de Cassis
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water (divided use)
Cream Cheese Layer
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Whipped Cream Layer
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
To make the blueberry filling:
- Add 1/8 cup water to a pan with the blueberries, liquor and sugar.
- Bring to a boil. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Stir the remaining water and cornstarch together.
- Stir into the blueberry mixture and stir until thickened. Cool.
To make the Cheesecake Filling:
- Add the cream cheese, heavy cream and milk to a mixer bowl.
- Beat on medium speed until combined. Add the sugar and vanilla.
To make the Whipped Cream:
- Simply add the ingredients to a cold clean mixing bowl. With a whisk beater beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Put the angel food pieces in a large bowl or individual cups. Add the cheesecake filling. Add some blueberry filling. Top with the remaining cake mixture. Add the remaining blueberries. Top with the whipped cream. Use these directions loosely. There is no wrong way to layer these. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- If you are feeling really creative you can put some of the angel food cake pieces into a toaster over or under the broiler to toast then crumble into crunchy crumbs to add texture and crunch to your parfait or to sprinkle on top. Enjoy!