The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
Needless to say we are all BUSY, BUSY, BUSY and meals like this Cherry BBQ Chicken Meatloaf make dinnertime easy. What’s also nice is that meatloaf is simple to reheat and still tastes good, so you can make this in the morning, afternoon or over a weekend and still enjoy it for dinner during the week.
Chicken Meatloaf is prepared much in the same way as a classic beef meatloaf. Ground meat is combined with breadcrumbs and seasonings and then baked in the oven until done. The obvious difference is the primary protein is chicken rather than beef. I have tried a variety of glazes and toppings for this meatloaf over time but ultimately, my favorite is the Brownwood Farms Cherry BBQ Sauce. It is delectably sweet, tangy and perfect for painting on any meatloaf!
The biggest concern when making a meatloaf with lean meat is how to prevent it from being too dry. Fat adds a lot of calories, but it also adds moisture and flavor. Since the ground chicken doesn’t contain much fat, the moisture in this meatloaf comes from the breadcrumbs soaking up the milk, as well as the shredded Parmesan cheese which will melt into the meatloaf.
To make this recipe you’ll be using the same ingredients as my Cherry Bomb Chicken Meatball recipe. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F, then combine all ingredients in a bowl. Shape your meatloaf into a rectangular shape and place it in an oven safe baking dish, then top with the Cherry BBQ sauce. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the internal temperature is 180 degrees F. Let cool before slicing and serving.
- 2 lbs Ground Chicken
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup grated Onion
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/3 cup chopped Parsley
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Table Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently crumble chicken into a large bowl. In a separate dish, combine all dry ingredients and mix together, then sprinkle over ground chicken. Add remaining wet ingredients and mix thoroughly to combine.
- In a separate dish, prepare the meatloaf glaze by mixing ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce together.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of glaze to the bottom of a bread pan and add the chicken meatloaf mixture into the pan and form into a loaf. Paint the chicken meatloaf with the remaining glaze.
- Bake in the oven uncovered for 90 minutes, or until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees with a digital meat thermometer.
- Remove from the oven, let rest for a few minutes, slice and serve.
- Panko is a Japanese style of breadcrumbs.
- A combination of ground chicken and turkey can be used to make this meatloaf.
- The mixture can be prepared the night before and baked the day of, if desired.