The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
These chicken wings are so good I could fry! They are so simple to make, great for a meal or game night and have a surprise ingredient that you need to have on hand. These chicken wings are double dipped fried wings which means they are a whole lot of extra deliciousness and will have that crunchy texture everyone loves. The glaze gives the wings that sugary and sweet sticky tastiness that will leave you wanting more.
- 12 whole chicken wings (drums or wings), washed and pat dry
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups flour
- 5 cups water (for brining)
- Canola oil, for frying (use enough to fill your frying pan 3/4th of the way to the top – so that each wing is full submerged in the oil when frying)
- Brownwood Farms Cherry BBQ sauce (The surprise ingredient!)
- Soak the chicken wings in approx. 5 cups of cold salt water for 2-3 hours. This is the same thing as brining, and it really makes a difference when it comes to the juiciness and the flavor. I use a ratio of 1tbs of salt per cup of water.
- Once the wings have soaked, remove them and coat them in the flour mixture (flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder) then dip each wing back into the brining water and then once again back in the flour mixture.
- Make sure your oil is hot enough for frying. You can tell that it is if you hearing it crackling (that heavenly sizzling sound). I would recommend (depending on the size of your frying pan) frying as many wings at one time as you can making sure the wings aren’t touching each other so that they reach their optimal level of crispiness. I typically fry 6 wings at a time.
- Fry each batch of wings for approx. 15mins or until that coating turns that nice golden brown color.
- Once the wings are that golden brown color, remove them and place them on paper towels to absorb any excess oil. When the wings are cool to the touch, place them in a large bowl along with Brownwood Farms Cherry BBQ sauce and toss to coat. Enjoy!