We’re almost there! Christmas is days away. Decorations are up and lists are made. Maybe this year I will remember where I hid all the presents. One year I didn’t find a gift until April…yikes!
Now that we are in full swing entertaining season I’m always looking for a new (easy) recipe to impress friends and family. Are you looking for a simple “go to” recipe to serve when people drop by for the holidays? How about dip? You could easily buy dips pre-made, but making them from scratch is so much better. You’ll be blown away by the difference in taste once you start making your own. You’ll also love how easy they are to make with items you probably have in your pantry.
I once read about this dip technique created by Anna Jones, a former food stylist to Jamie Oliver. It totally simplified dip recipes that can be made in hundreds of combinations. I do most of my dip making in my Vitamix. It’s so simple to add the ingredients, pour it in a bowl and serve!
Beans + Cream + Flavor + Acid + Sweetness + Herbs
That’s it. Now choose one ingredient from each of the categories below:
Start with a 15-oz. Can of Beans
- Black beans
- Butter beans
- Cannellini beans
- Borlotti beans
Blitz ‘n Season
- Blitz the beans with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper until you have an evenly textured mash, then add one item from each category below, and process until well combined, adding a little more oil or water to loosen as needed.
A Tablespoon of Creaminess
- Sunflower seed butter
- Nut butter
- Plain Greek yogurt
A Good Pinch of Punchy Flavor
- Toasted cumin seeds
- Finely chopped thyme
- Grated fresh ginger
- Grated garlic
- Chopped chile
Some Brightening Acidity
- Zest and juice of half a lemon, lime, or orange
A Dash of Balancing Sweetness
- A Medjool date
- A drizzle of maple syrup
- A squeeze of honey
- A few dried apricots
- And a Handful of Fresh, Tender Herbs on Top if You’d Like
Need some more inspiration? Try these combos:
- Cannelini Beans + Tahini + Toasted Cumin Seeds + Lemon Juice/Zest + Medjool Date + Herbs
- Black Beans + Plain Greek Yogurt + Chopped Chile + Lime Juice/Zest + Honey + Herbs
- Chickpeas + Sunflower Seed Butter + Grated Ginger + Orange Juice/Zest + Maple Syrup + Herbs
Now get busy!
Its Christmas so here’s one more crazy simple yet delicious idea for Holiday appetizers.
Butternut Squash and Chorizo Skewers
- One large butternut squash
- 1 pound chorizo
- 1 bunch of parsley leaves
- For the marinade
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pinches sea salt and a pinch of coarse black pepper
- half teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/8th teaspoon ground cumin
- baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 400° mix ingredients for the marinade together in a bowl. Cut the butternutt squash into 35 meet cubes.
- Toss in the marinade and then transfer to a prepared baking sheet, making sure there is a little space between each cube of squash.
- Cook in the preheated oven 20 minutes or until the edges are crisp in this class is cooked through
- meanwhile, cut the chorizo into 35 pieces, heat in a frying pan or skillet and fry the Chorizo pieces for a couple minutes on each side.
- Skewer through the parsley leaf into the squash and hte Chorizo. Serve