This time of year is filled with gatherings of friends and family celebrating the holidays. Invariably we are always asking, “what can I bring?” Or, if you’re the hostess, “what can I put on the table to be festive and make my guests feel special (with only one trip to the store and only minutes to prepare because I just got home from work or holiday shopping and I would still like to shower)?” I’ve got the perfect thing.
I always have olives and peppers on my table but usually they are in small bowls or added to a charcuterie board. This time I’ve given them their own platter. By spreading a few sprigs of rosemary around on a plate in the shape of a wreath you create the perfect base for olives, cheese, and peppers. The great thing about this is it takes moments to prepare. It makes your table smell great and the olives and cheeses, when plucked off the plate, have a slight hint of rosemary added to their flavor. It’s a subtly delightful flavor you will love.
The next favorite idea is equally as easy and also takes only moments. Smoked salmon baguettes always please a crowd and the ingredients are easy to keep on hand just in case you need them.
Smoked Salmon Baguettes
- 1 package of Norwegian smoked salmon
- 1 package of creamed cheese
- 1 jar of small capers
- one bunch of dill
- one baguette
- butter or olive oil for toasting your baguette slices
- Simply slice your bread into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Add a bit of butter or oil to a warm skillet. Put bread slices in the skillet turn when toasty brown. Flip to toast both sides.
- Top each piece of bread with a bit of cream cheese. Add a small piece of salmon, a few capers and a tiny sprig of fresh dill.
It’s as simple as that. The flavors are powerful and distinct enough that you don’t need any extra seasoning or salt or pepper. All you need are these few simple fresh ingredients.
I hope you are the hit of your next gathering with these simple ideas.