This recipe and photo were provided by our friends at Niman Ranch.
A hearty egg and tomato stew is made into a meal that could be breakfast just as it could be dinner, by the addition of perfectly spiced Niman Ranch chorizo sausage. It is chock-full of tender chickpeas, stewed zucchini and topped with slow simmered eggs. Serve with toasted bread and a salad for the perfect meal.
Eggs in Purgatory with Chorizo
- 1 package (4 links) Niman Ranch Chorizo Sausage
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Yellow Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 cup Zucchini, cut into 1/4in half moons
- 1 (15 oz) can Chickpeas, drained
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 (15 oz) can Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 cups (16 oz) Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 large Eggs
- Fresh Parsley
- Cut sausages in half-inch rounds. In a large (12 in) saute pan with a lid, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Saute sausage until crispy, flipping half-way through, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in the same pan. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add oregano, zucchini and chickpeas to the pan and cook until zucchini has softened slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Add salt and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add the cooked sausage back to the pan and top with the chopped tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and 1/2 cup of water. Bring everything up to a simmer.
- Crack four eggs into the pan and cover with a lid. Cook for 4 minutes if you like your eggs runny. Increase your cook time by a minute if you like the yolks more set.
- To finish, top with fresh parsley, a drizzle of olive oil and red pepper flakes. Serve with toasted bread for dipping or a large salad.