Summertime is almost here! This is one of the best times of the year to get out there and “play” with your workout. The best thing about exercising outside is that you don’t have to pay for a gym membership or a $20 yoga class! All you need is yourself, comfortable clothes, and some athletic shoes (or you can work out barefoot!). Try to plan your workouts for the mornings or evenings as summer temperatures can get high and exercising in these conditions is not very motivating. Enjoy a workout on cooler summer mornings before work or a relaxing summer jog at sunset!
- Got the kids home for the summer? Get out there and play with them! Or swim a couple laps in between tanning sessions when taking them to the local swimming pool.
- Traveling to new places? Excellent! This is the perfect opportunity to try a new fitness class at a new studio or gym in the area. The best part is, if you’re a new or visiting student, these places will usually offer a “first class free” option. Just use the internet or Google to your advantage to search for “yoga studios near Disney World” for example.
- Summer is a time for multiple fitness events to take place. Sign up for a 5k this summer or maybe even something like a Warrior Dash or Tough Mudder!
- Stay HYDRATED! This is so important to your energy and overall health when exercising in the summer. Try and drink a liter of water when waking up, especially if you plan to workout that morning and even a liter before bedtime if you have taken a night time run!
- Sunscreen! Vitamin D levels are increased by the increase in your sun exposure, but! The UV rays from the sun can damage your skin cells. Please remember to use sunscreen before going out the door. Coconut oil has UV ray protection (about 15 SPF) or try one of the natural SPF lotions in the Heinen’s Wellness Department!
Follow these tips to have a fun, fitness-filled summer for 2015! Now get out there and go play!
Wellness Consultant – Glenview Heinen’s