This recipe and photography was provided courtesy of local cookbook author and chef, Carla Snyder. Learn more about Carla and discover her recipes at Ravenouskitchen.com or in her cookbook, One Pan Whole Family. For more Ice Cream Sandwich recipes from this series, visit the index here.
You can whip these simple ice cream sandwiches up in no time. They fit perfectly into a 9 by 13-inch pan and make lots to keep on hand for spur of the moment summer get-togethers.
It’s that easy: At times I will resort to a brief microwave to soften ice cream and this is one of those times. If you can get a fork in the container and swish it around to loosen the ice cream a bit, it will be easier to spread. Microwave in 15 second stints until it seems right.
Graham Cracker Ice Cream Sandwiches
Start-to-finish: 4 hours
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Makes 20 squares
- 1.5-qt carton of vanilla or salted caramel ice cream plus 1-pt, softened at room temperature 10 minutes the in microwave in short bursts (see, it’s that easy)
- 20 whole graham crackers
- 1 cup crushed Heath Bar candy bar plus more for dipping
- 1 1/2 cups Nutella
- Line an 9 by 13-inch pan with foil and lay graham crackers to fit. You will have to break a few. Spread half the ice cream over the top and sprinkle with 1 cup candy bits. Add another layer of the remaining ice cream. Spread the remaining crackers with a thick layer of Nutella and lay them Nutella side down onto the ice cream. Freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Using the foil as a guide, pull the sandwiches out of the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut the sandwiches into squares with a serrated knife and transfer them to a parchment lined pan in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm back up.
- Dip the sandwiches into the extra crushed candy bits and return to the freezer until ready to serve.
Adaptations: Other combos to try are coffee ice cream and mini chocolate chips, peanut butter ice cream and chopped Reese’s Cups or make it easy and just use a blended ice cream like Chubby Hubby or Moose Tracks.