A salad dressing that doubles as a marinade is a win-win for this summer salad. Greek Lemon Garlic Chicken Salad with Tzatziki and warm Naan or flatbread is reminiscent of Greek Souvlaki and oh-so delicious on these warm summer days.
The fun with Mediterranean flavor doesn’t stop here. If you simply can’t get enough of these vibrant and flavor-packed salads, check out this recipe for a light Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Shrimp and Avocado.
Greek Lemon Garlic Chicken Salad
- 2 large skinless boneless chicken breasts , halved to make four fillets
- 4 Flatbreads ( store bought)
For the Marinade/ Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (or 2 large garlic cloves, minced)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cracked pepper
For the Tzatziki
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small seedless cucumber, peeled, deseeded and grated
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
Note: Feel free to use store bought tzatziki
For the Salad
- 3 seedless cucumbers, halved lengthways and sliced thick
- 250 g | 8 oz cherry tomatoes (or grape tomatoes)
- 1 green pepper (capsicum), deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 7 oz | 200 g marinated Feta cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup (3 oz | 80 g) pitted Kalamata olives
- Whisk together marinade/dressing ingredients in large, shallow dish. Pour out 1/3 cup to use as the dressing; reserve in the refrigerator for later.
- Add the chicken to the marinade and evenly coat; cover and allow to marinate for 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- While chicken is marinating, prepare tzatziki: combine tzatziki ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Toss salad ingredients together. Warm store bought flatbreads on a pan over low heat until soft and warmed through. Transfer to warmed plates.
- Heat a large grill pan/skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and add to the pan. Sear until the chicken is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes each side (total cook time of 10 to 12 minutes). Remove chicken from the pan; allow to rest for 5 minutes. Slice thickly and arrange on salad.
- Slice each flatbread into four pieces and arrange on salad plates. Drizzle with the reserved dressing and serve with the tzatziki.