The recipe and photography for this post was provided Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
If you are looking for a delicious week night meal or a fantastic main entrée to serve up at your next back yard BBQ, then be sure to make these Grilled Pork Chops with Roasted Pineapple Salsa Verde. Now that the weather has finally turned toward actually feeling like summer, the grills are being lit up in full force. In the summer, I like quick and easy-to-prepare meals where you’re not standing over the grill for long periods of time, and this recipe takes only 15-20 minutes to cook.
The prep for making these pork chops is fairly easy. Whenever it comes to serving a meal to family and guests, it’s all about timing. For any recipe, it’s important to prep everything first so when it’s time to cook, there is no need to stop and cut or peel something — everything is finished and ready to go.
To make sure this recipe comes out on time, start by preheating your grill to high heat. The optimal temperature for grilling is between 500°F and 600°F. Within this range is where you can get those coveted grill marks while the meat is still being cooked internally. Next, you want to prepare your pineapple, tomatillos, jalapeño and red onions as those will be going out to the grill. Before these are placed on the grill, drizzle some olive oil onto the pork, fruits and vegetables. Season everything with salt and pepper.
Since pork chops take about 12-15 minutes to cook, you want to lay those down first onto the grill. When it comes to grilling anything, you have to be patient because the food is going to want to stick to the grates. After 5-7 minutes, flip over the pork and then add the fruit and vegetables to the grill as well since those will cook quickly. Flip those after 2-3 minutes. When the pork is done, everything else is done as well. While the pork rests on your serving platter, add the roasted fruit, vegetables, and herbs to a blender and puree until smooth to make a really tasty roasted pineapple salsa verde.
Serve the salsa verde over top of the pork or on the side and garnish with any leftover cilantro and oregano. This is a fantastic dish with awesome flavors that I know will be a big hit at your next party.
Grilled Pork Chops with Roasted Pineapple Salsa Verde
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 thick bone-in pork chops
- ½ peeled and thickly sliced pineapple, core removed
- 1 seeded jalapeño
- 5 peeled tomatillos
- ½ peeled and thickly sliced red onion
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to 500° to 600°.
- Evenly drizzle the olive oil onto the pork chops, pineapple, jalapeño, tomatillos and red onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pork chops to the grill and cook for 5-7 minutes or until dark grill marks have formed.
- Flip the pork over, cook for a further 5-7 minutes and then evenly spread out the pineapple, jalapeño, tomatillos and red onion on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until lightly roasted.
- Remove the pork, fruit and vegetables from the grill and let the pork rest on the plate you will be serving it on for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the roasted fruit, vegetables and herbs to a blender and blend on high speed until lightly chunky.
- Pour the salsa over top of the pork (or serve it on the side) and garnish with fresh cilantro and oregano.