Spring is here and oh, what a wonderful time of year it is! Many of us are wide-eyed in anticipation of the first blooms and the sight of green leaves on trees. Others are excited because summer is right around the corner. But some, 30 million to be exact, are experiencing the dread of spring allergies.
So, why are allergies a thing this time of year? Glad you asked! Spring allergies, also known as hay fever, are an exaggerated seasonal reaction to tree and plant pollen. When inhaled, the immune system treats this pollen as a foreign body invasion resulting in an allergic reaction… that lasts for months.
Hay fever is diagnosed as seasonal allergic rhinitis and doctors will typically prescribe nasal spray and antihistamines which can also be purchased over-the-counter. However, if modern pharmaceuticals aren’t your thing, don’t suffer in silence. There is natural, holistic relief for your stuffy nosy, watery eyes and postnasal drip.
Here are my go-to remedies for spring allergies:
- Essential Oils and Aromatherapy
When suffering from hay fever, the best Essential Oils to use are Peppermint, Lavender, Eucalyptus and Rose Fragrance Oil.
- Diffuse: Add 7 drops of Rose and Eucalyptus Oils and distilled water to a diffuser to fill the air and open nasal pathways.
- On Skin: Add 10 drops of Peppermint Oil and 10 drops of Lavender Oil with Jojoba Oil (a carrier oil) to a 10ml perfume roller. Apply under neck, frontal sinus (forehead), and to the bottoms of feet.
Herbal and seasonal teas can be consumed leading up to and during spring allergy season. Here are two options from the Traditional Medicinals brand.
- Stinging Nettle: Nettle leaf tea is known to reduce allergy symptoms. As a natural antihistamine, stinging nettle is also full of vitamins and minerals. As an herbal tea, this spring tonic is pleasantly refreshing and caffeine-free.
- Elderberry and Elderflower: Most people know that elderberries are a great cure for winter colds, but when combined with elderflower, also becomes a great remedy for hay fever. Thankfully, Traditional Medicinals offers an organic Echinacea Plus tea with both that supports and boosts immune systems. Win-win!
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Elixir
At the first sign of spring allergies, try this remedy! In a glass of distilled water, add 1 tbsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 tbsp. of Lemon Juice and 1/2 tbsp. melted Raw Organic Honey. Drink three
glasses a day for allergy relief.
4. Neti Pot Solutions
Sinus draining is a great option, especially when hay fever causes your sinuses and nose to overreact. In this situation, neti pot remedies can easily be incorporated as a treatment.
Create a saline solution with 1 tsp. of salt and distilled water and flush the nasal cavity using the neti pot. Additionally, 1 tsp. of apple cider vinegar can also be added to distilled water as another flushing option.
With these natural, holistic remedies, this will be your BEST spring yet!