When many people think of spring they think flowers. While that’s understandable, right now we’re thinking sausage. Bockwurst specifically, a German sausage traditionally served around Lent and Easter. Each spring for a limited time, our butchers recreate Joe Heinen’s original Bockwurst recipe to dish out the tasty sausage made of veal (yes, veal!), pork, spring chives and more.
It’s a unique sausage because it’s primarily veal and it’s interesting because it has milk in it. These are ingredients you just don’t see in sausage.” —Tom Heinen
A favorite of the Heinen family, Bockwurst was often eaten by them during breakfast. And while you can certainly eat it whenever you choose, Tom now eats it for dinner, sometimes stocking up and freezing it to enjoy all year. If you don’t intend to eat it quickly, we recommend you do the same and freeze it for later.
It was a complete treat. Everybody loved it in our family.” —Tom Heinen
So, how can you get your hands on this unique seasonal favorite? Fresh Bockwurst will be available in your Heinen’s March 19–April 1.
Unlike other sausages, Bockwurst doesn’t do well grilled. Here’s how we recommend you cook it.
- In a large pot, lay the Bockwurst in a single layer and add enough cold water to cover the Bockwurst by about an inch.
- On the stove over medium-low heat, slowly bring the water to just below the boiling point. Don’t let the water boil, it should take 30-40 minutes to reach the “Near Boiling Point.”
- As the water begins to move and get foamy, near the boiling point, on top; remove the pot from the heat.
- Put a tight fitting lid on the pot and let rest for 15–20 minutes. After 15–20 minutes, carefully remove the Bockwurst with tongs, being mindful not to split the skin.
- Your bockwurst will be fully cooked when the internal temperature reads 165 degrees on a meat thermometer. If during the cooking process you notice the Bockwurst casing beginning to split, quickly lower the heat.
Tom’s Tip: Finish off the Bockwurst by browning it in a pan (butter optional) to give the skin a slightly crisp texture.