Get ready to impress your guests this holiday season with our selection of limited edition holiday cheeses. This special time of year allows Heinen’s to bring you some of the most unique cheeses from both the U.S. and Europe. Below, discover more about each of these delicious finds and how you can incorporate them into your holiday cheeseboards.
Snowdonia Cheese Company Truckles
Snowdonia Cheese Company in Northern Wales creates award-winning cheeses. We have an assortment of these little truckles available for the holiday entertaining season! Using classic base cheeses such as mature cheddar or Red Leicester, Snowdonia Welsh Truckles are sure to add unique flavor blends to any cheeseboard. These colorful wax-dipped truckles make great gifts for the cheese lover, too!
- Snowdonia Little Black Bomber – Winner of the 2010 Silver Medal at the Nantwich International Cheese Show and 2007 World Cheese Award Bronze winner, this select extra mature cheddar is the flagship product of the range. It’s creamy and smooth with a touch of tanginess.
- Snowdonia Red Devil – A silver winner of the 2006 World Cheese Awards, this Red Leicester with chilies and crushed pepper will add spice and heat to any cheeseboard.
- Snowdonia Bouncing Berry – A silver medal winner at the Nantwich International Cheese Awards, this mature cheddar is balanced with fresh cranberries to produce a delicious sweet-tart cheese that’s perfect for entertaining!
- Snowdonia Green Thunder – A 2008 silver award winner at Nantwich and 2006 World Cheese Awards Gold winner, Green Thunder is a creamy mature cheddar with garlic and garden herbs.
- Snowdonia Nature’s Nectar – This is the most recent addition to the delicious Snowdonia range of unique-flavored cheddars. It combines rum-marinated figs and honey with their signature mature cheddar for a smooth, fruity and slightly sweet flavor profile.
As part of our Heinen’s Specialty Cloth-Bound Cheese Series, we are delighted to be carrying Beecher’s Flagsheep in our holiday cheese selection this year. A “Best of Show” winner at the American Cheese Society’s annual competition, Flagsheep incorporates sheep’s milk into the recipe and is traditionally cloth-bound and open-air aged. The flavor is dense, fruity and earthy with a butterscotch sweetness.
Pair with the new Heinen’s Cheese Board Essentials and let the party begin! Flagsheep will soon become your favorite aged cheese and is sure to be the center of attention at your next get together!
Schallenberg is a very limited Gourmino selection of Swiss Alpine cheese named after the Schallenberg Mountain that overlooks the small Oberei cheese dairy where cheesemaker, Hansruedi Gasser handcrafts his specialty Swiss Alpine cheeses.
This special selection cheese is made from fresh raw milk from Swiss dairy cows who graze naturally on Alpine pastures. Depending on the fat content of the raw cow’s milk, Hansruedi adds cream to the Schallenberg recipe in order to enrich the cheese when necessary. He then washes the wheels with brine multiple times and allows the wheels of cheese to ripen and age for up to 16 months. The final result produces a cheese that has a heavenly, silky-satin texture with just a touch of crystalline crunch.
The flavor profile is quite complex with notes of brown butter, toasted hazelnuts, vanilla, sweet luscious cream all balanced with savory aromatics of caramelized onions, broth and mushrooms. This cheese pairs well with Marcona almonds, walnuts, dried fruits and fruit pastes. Add this cheese to your holiday cheese board and enjoy with full-bodied, rich white wines, tawny ports and farmhouse ales.
Grab-N-Go International Specialty Cheese Tray
This holiday season, indulge in this hand-selected collection of specialty international cheeses from across Europe. This grab-n-go cheese tray includes French Brie, Tavoliere from Italy and Heinen’s own imported aged gouda. You will also find Darbo raspberry and strawberry jams, which are from Austria.
Find all of these great little cheese gems and more in our Specialty Cheese Departments, while supplies last. Quantities are limited and selection varies by store.