The following recipe and photography for this post were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
The best way to spread holiday cheer is by serving sangria during this time of year! Start the fire and put on your coziest pair of socks and get ready to relax with a festive cocktail. This cabernet sangria is the ultimate holiday drink that can be made in advance in a large pitcher so that serving your guests is a total breeze! Letting the fruit soak overnight intensifies all of the flavors, giving your sangria a flavor profile like you would not believe.
Heinen’s is featuring an impressive assortment of cabernets in their Wine Department this holiday season with a wide variety of price points to choose from. I could not recommend trying Gen5 more if I tried – we have purchased this Cabernet for months now and we were thrilled to see it on the shelves again. It’s under $10 and such an enjoyable red wine to sip. The newest Cabernet we have added to our bar is High Valley. This red wine is a bit more robust and pairs perfectly with a full meal. For less than $15, I am always astonished by the incredible and affordable wines that Heinen’s provides.
Okay, back to the sangria!
Oranges, cranberries, pears – Oh my! These are the fruits I chose to use, but feel free to switch up the fruity additions in your sangria – the options are endless. For this particular sangria, I added a bit of a kick to the mix by pouring in a little bit of brandy and finished it off with a sparkling apple cider.
Simply mix the ingredients into a large pitcher, store in your fridge overnight and you’re ready to serve whenever your guests arrive.
If you are in the gift-giving mood, making a few mason jars filled with the same ingredients is a delightful holiday hostess gift to give paired with a bottle of wine. How fun is that?
Holiday Cabernet Sangria Hostess Gift
- 1 bottle of cabernet
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 blood orange
- 1 orange
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 pear
- 1 apple
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 sprig of rosemary
Instructions for Making
- Slice the oranges, apple and pear and add them into a large pitcher. Add the cranberries, pomegranate arils, cinnamon stick and rosemary.
- Pour in the entire bottle of red wine and the 1/2 cup of brandy.
- Stir together and let sit in the fridge overnight until you are ready to serve.
Serving Options ( For Customizing your Sangria Creation)
- Pour equal parts sangria and sparkling apple cider into a glass.
- Fill glass with sangria and add just a splash of sparkling apple cider
- Add no apple cider
- Cinnamon Sugar Rimmed Glass (1/2 cup sugar + 1 tsp cinnamon mixed together)
Instructions for Making a Mason Jar Holiday Cabernet Sangria Hostess Gift
- Add all of the ingredients minus the wine into the mason jar.
- Wrap the bottle of wine with a bow and give it to a hostess you are thankful for.
- You can also pour in the wine and brandy and gift it already ready to be chilled in their fridge to enjoy another night.