There are endless opportunities with this recipe to make it exactly the way you want! I prefer lettuce wraps to get the most flavor out of the sesame cauliflower but you can serve the cauliflower alone as a side dish, on quinoa, brown rice or any desired grain, with naan bread, or in a salad. I love the crunch to the cauliflower. Enjoy!
Crispy Sesame Cauliflower Lettuce Wraps
For the cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets or buy precut
- 1 cup almond flour (can substitute with cassava, chickpea, regular or wheat flour)
- 1 cup water, plus extra (use 1.5 cups if using cassava flour)
- ½-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the sesame sauce:
- ¼ cup coconut aminos (can substitute with tamari soy sauce or any desired soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup (buy local if you can!)
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour of choice (e.g. almond), water, garlic, sesame seeds and salt and pepper. Whisk together. If the batter is too thick/pasty, add water by tbsp. for desired consistency.
- Place cauliflower florets into batter and evenly coat. Transfer cauliflower florets to baking sheet.
- Bake battered cauliflower for 20 minutes. While cauliflower is baking, make the sauce.
- In a small saucepan, combine the coconut aminos (or desired soy sauce), maple syrup, sesame oil, rice vinegar, tomato paste, garlic and sesame seeds. Bring sauce to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes and set aside.
- After cauliflower has baked, remove and let cool. Once cooled, transfer cauliflower to large bowl and cover with sauce. Coat evenly. Leave some sauce in bowl to drizzle over.
- Bake cauliflower for another 20 minutes or until edges are starting to darken. Remove the sesame cauliflower and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve cauliflower on lettuce wraps, or grain of choice (see description for other ideas!). Drizzle the remaining sauce and top with extra sesame seeds.
- The sauce was light in this recipe. Double the batch if you like it saucy.
- Add chopped green onions to final dish if desired.
- If you want a little more spice to the sauce, add 1 tbsp. chili paste to the sauce.
Click Here to Print the Recipe for Crispy Sesame Cauliflower Lettuce Wraps.