The following post was made in collaboration with Lauren Schulte of @TheBiteSizePantry. and Molli True Mexican Sauces. Product was provided by Molli and this post and photography were provided courtesy of Lauren Schulte.
It’s now the month when the Lenten season begins and we’re all about those fish fries. If you’re tired of the same ol’ frying of fish, try my sweet and smoky fried fish cakes! These easy-to-assemble cakes are the base for my Mexican Eggs Benedict that is truly a fiesta on a plate. So make sure you don’t give these up for Lent.
These Mini Mexican Eggs Bennies are so beautiful and easy to make that I promise, you’ll crave them over and over again. With just a few ingredients, a little bit of patience while poaching those eggs and a belly ready to be full of yummy eggs bennies, your breakfast or brunch will soon be taken to a zesty new level!
Mexican Eggs Benedict
For the Fish Cakes
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- ¼ red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Two Brothers Sweet & Smokey seasoning
- 2 medium tilapia filets, frozen
- Cooking spray
For the Black Bean Paste
- 14 oz. can of black beans
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Guacamole
- 3 small avocados
- ¼ red onion
- Juice from 1 lime
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- Salt to taste
For the Molli Hollandaise Sauce
- ½ jar of Molli sauce (Located in Hienen’s International Foods Aisle.)
- ½ cup cooked sweet potato, this is for a thickening agent
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
For the Poached Eggs
- 2-3 cups water
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 eggs
- Combine all the fish cake ingredients (minus the eggs) in a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Add the eggs one by one while you continue to blend. Blend until a dough-like consistency starts to form.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium to high heat. Scoop out 3 Tbsp. (palm full) of the fish cake mixture and roll into a ball. Pat it flat and place in the hot skillet.
- Cook for about 4 minutes on each side. Once the patties are firm to the touch, remove them and set aside.
- In your food processor (wash it out after you blend the fish cakes) add all ingredients for the black bean paste. Blend until smooth, scoop out and set aside.
- In the food processor (no need to clean it after the black bean paste) add all ingredients for the guacamole and blend until smooth. Scoop out and set aside.
- Add your Molli sauce ingredients to the food processor (no need to clean it after the guacamole) and blend into a smooth and creamy sauce. You can buy your sweet potatoes pre-cooked from the Heinen’s Prepared Food counter or you can roast them yourself with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper at 400°F for 20 minutes until tender.
- Once you have all the elements for the Mexican Eggs Benedict ready, heat your water in a medium saucepot over high heat until the water comes to a boil. Add the white vinegar and stir the water until a whirlpool forms. Drop your eggs one by one in the center of the whirlpool and give them a gentle stir so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. After 2-3 minutes, remove the eggs from the water and place on a paper towel to let the excess water absorb.
- Place your fish cake on a plate followed by 1 Tbsp. of black bean paste, then 1 Tbsp. of guacamole. Finish with a poached egg and a generous dollop of the Molli sauce.