Mulled Wine is a great addition to fireside snuggling. It is so simple to make and can be ready in 20 minutes. If you are serving a crowd, it can be mulled in a crockpot all day and ready when your guests arrive. This mulled wine recipe is sure to warm you during the holidays.
So what is Mulled Wine?
Very simply, mulled wine is spiced, heated red wine. It is usually made with a bit of brandy and some form of sweetener. It’s very popular throughout Europe. You will be sure to find it at outdoor Christmas markets and especially Christkindlmarkets in Chicago. Not only is it delicious, but the preparation will fill your home with the most welcoming scent of citrus and warm spices.
Spiced wine or mulled wine starts with a dry red wine that is heated slowly and mixed with whole spices such as cinnamon, star anise, allspice, cloves and citrus such as oranges, lemons or limes. It can also be sweetened with agave honey, sugar or even apple juice.
It’s so simple and so delicious. Enjoy it now and all throughout the season.
- 1 (750 ml) blood of dry red wine
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 orange, sliced into half rounds
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar, honey or maple syrup to taste ( or your desired sweetener)
- Optional Garnishes: Citrus slices ( Orange, lemon and/ or lime), Extra cinnamon Sticks, Extra star anise, Rosemary sprig
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and heat just barely to a simmer over medium-high heat. Be careful not to boil the mulled wine.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Strain and serve warm with your desired garnishes.
- This can easily be made in a crockpot if you’re serving a crowd.
- Feel free to use your choice of sweetener, or leave the mulled wine unsweetened.
- You can also place the oranges, cloves, cinnamon and star anise in a cheesecloth. Simply strain and pull the bundle our when ready to serve.