The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
I’ve become obsessed with donut-ifying whatever fruit or food I can get my hands on lately. Since it’s officially apple season, I thought making No-Bake Candy Apple Donuts would be a fun way to celebrate. If you ask me, fall seems to start earlier and earlier with every year.
I remember the good ol’ days when summer wouldn’t end until after Labor Day, none of this pumpkin spice in August nonsense. Listen to me, I sound like an old woman. I remember back in my day…What hasn’t changed is the need for healthy, brain-power snacks that kids need to keep them fueled for the day. That’s where I come in to help!
No-Bake Candy Apple Donuts
For the Apples
- 3 apples, cut into 1/2” thick slices
- 2 cup water + juice of 1 lemon
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, creamy and natural (or sunflower seed butter for nut-free option)
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
For the Toppings
- Green and/or red apples (I personally like the red ones best for this)
- Peanut butter
- Cocoa powder
- Mini chocolate chips
- Any other toppings you or your kids like
- Cut small circles out in the middle of each apple slice.
- Soak the apple rings into the water and lemon juice mixture for 5-10 minutes. Pat dry completely.
- Mix together the peanut butter and cocoa powder until smooth and well combined. Slather over each slice.
- Add the toppings of choice.