Set your next pie apart with this gorgeous lattice pie top that you can accomplish every time in just 7 easy steps Take your pie game to the next level with a flaky, beautiful lattice pie crust. Take a look at our step by step photo instructions for making a great lattice pie topping.
Place bottom crust and add filling
- Prepare your bottom pie crust and lay into a round pie pan. Gently press the crust into the pan until it fits the contour of the pan.
- Pile in the fillings. Add your favorite pie fillings until even with the outside edge of the pie pan.
- Roll out another pie crust into a circle that is slightly larger than the pie pan. Cut into 8 equal strips.
Add crust strips 1, 2, 3 & 4
- Place four crust strips across the pie, evenly spaced from edge to edge
- Fold strips 1 & 3 in half back over themselves
Add crust strips 5 & 6
- Add strip 5 perpendicular to and over top of strips 2 & 4
- Fold strips 2 and 4 in half back over themselves and unfold strips 1 & 3
- Add strip 6 over top of and perpendicular to strips 1 & 3
Add crust strip 7
- Fold strips 2 & 4 in half back over themselves in the opposite direction.
- Add strip 7 over top of and perpendicular to strips 1 & 3.
Add final crust strip 8
- Unfold strips 2 & 4 all the way across the pie.
- Fold back strips 1 & 3 about a quarter of the way across the pie.
- Add strip 8 over top of and perpendicular to strips 2 & 4.
Finish lattice topping
- Unfold strips 1 & 3 all the way across the pie.
- Using kitchen shears, trim any access from the crust strips that hang over the pie pan.
- With a fork, gently press into the edge of the crust to seal the strips to the bottom crust and create a nice presentation.
Bake your pie
- Bake your pie according to your recipe.