This recipe and photography was provided courtesy of local cookbook author and chef, Carla Snyder. Learn more about Carla and discover her recipes at Ravenouskitchen.com.
20 minutes and one pan is all you need to whip up this romantic meal featuring rib eye as an impressive main dish. Rib-eyes are a lush cut of steak thanks to the generous marbling that runs through a steer’s juicy ribs. Combine with meaty mushrooms and Sautéed Mixed Vegetables from the Gourmet Foods case and top with a few shavings of Parmesan, a drizzle of olive oil and a splash of lemon for a taste of the fertile valleys of Tuscany.
All of this can be done in less than 20 minutes and with one pan clean-up. You can’t forget the wine, and a Cabernet Sauvignon from Liparita is the perfect match for this steak. Have a glass while you cook. It’s a holiday, right? For dessert, offer a plate of Two Brothers Chocolate Truffles.
If you’re crunched for time, or looking to spend a little more time in the kitchen this Valentine’s Day, check out my other easy and elegant meal ideas.
Rib Eye Steak Florentine with Mushrooms and Vegetables
Start-to-Finish: 20 minutes
Hands-on Time: 10 minutes
- Two 8-oz boneless rib eye steaks, about 3/4-in thick, at room temperature
- Salt for sprinkling plus 1/4 teaspoon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 5-oz package sliced shiitake mushrooms
- Sautéed Mixed Vegetables from Heinen’s Gourmet Foods case
*If you can’t source the vegetables, purchase one of the cheesy potatoes offered every day.
- Shaved Parmesan Reggiano cheese to taste
- 1/2 lemon
- Chopped parsley (optional)
- About 30 minutes before you plan to eat, transfer the steaks from the fridge to the kitchen counter. Pat them dry with paper towels and salt and pepper them on both sides. This step removes the chill from the meat so that it cooks faster and more evenly, resulting in a juicier steak.
- Heat a 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. When the oil shimmers add the seasoned room temperature steaks. They should sizzle and spit a little.
- Add the mushrooms, trucking them in around the steaks.
- Cook the steaks without moving them until a crust forms on the bottom, about 4 minutes but give the mushrooms a little stir every now and then.
- Flip the steaks with tongs and cook the other side for about 3 minutes for medium-rare meat, another 4 minutes for medium.
- Transfer the steaks to dinner plates to rest. Leave the mushrooms to continue to heat in the hot pan off heat.
- Microwave the vegetables for 1 minute, and then in 30 second increments until hot.
- Transfer to the plates with the steak and top the steaks with the mushrooms.
- Garnish the top of the steaks with the shaved cheese, a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. Garnish with the parsley if using.
- Serve with wine and truffles for dessert.
*Availability of Prepared Food items is subject to change by day and store.