This recipe and photography was provided courtesy of local cookbook author and chef, Carla Snyder. Learn more about Carla and discover her recipes at Ravenouskitchen.com.
This just might be the perfect popcorn snack. It has caramel and chocolate and nuts and salt and it goes with any beverage be it a beer or a cup of coffee. We love this sweet snack over the holidays, but it always finds a place at our annual Big Game party as well so make lots. It goes fast.
It’s a good idea to offer a lighter item on game day, and nothing satisfies like salty popcorn drizzled with caramel, chocolate and nuts. Melted chocolate chips and an easy homemade caramel take popcorn to the next level. I sprinkled the mix with pecans, but you could easily substitute chopped walnuts or almonds if you prefer.
It’s that easy: Salt is a very important ingredient in this dish. If not salted adequately, it’s just flat and no fun and that is no way to spend game day. So, salt away with popcorn salt. It’s finer and sticks better than coarser grained salts.
Looking to create a complete game day spread? Check out more of my fan favorite recipes!
Salty Popcorn with Caramel Chocolate Drizzle and Pecans
Start-to-finish: 1 hour
Hands on time: 40 minutes
Makes 10 cups
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- Vegetable oil
- Popcorn salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large pot with a lid, add vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the pot. Add the popcorn kernels, top with the lid and heat over medium heat until popcorn has popped, about 4 minutes. Pour the popcorn onto a sheet pan lined with non-stick foil and discard any un-popped kernels. Salt with popcorn salt and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the brown sugar and butter over medium heat and cook until bubbly, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes or until it thickens. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave for 30 seconds. Check to see if they’ve softened by trying to stir and if still solid, melt for another 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Drizzle the popcorn with the chocolate then sprinkle with the nuts. Drizzle the caramel and then salt generously again.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Cool and break into pieces. Keep in a zip lock bag at room temperature.
Make-ahead: Can be made up to 2 days ahead.