The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Pear Bureau Northwest.
If you have any doubts about adding fruit to a classic deli sandwich, think again! This sandwich combines the best deli ham with artisan brie cheese, a crusty baguette and… wait for it… fresh pears! That’s right! You won’t believe how the pear flavor completes this sub.
Shaved Ham and Pear Sandwich with Brie Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Your favorite crusty baguette
- 1 tablespoon salted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1/2 pound of good quality ham, shaves
- 2 firm, ripe USA Pears, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Brie cheese, cut into 1/4″ slices
- Cut the baguette horizontally with a serrated knife into the top and bottom pieces. Hollow out most of the soft center from the top of the baguette to make room for the filling.
- Spread the butter into a very thin layer on the bottom slice of the baguette and top with honey mustard.
- Pile the shaved ham loosely on top of the honey mustard in an even layer.
- Top the ham with the pear slices all along the top of the baguette to fill the hollow space you have created, pressing down gently so that they will stay in place.
- Carefully place the top of the baguette into the bottom. Slice the sandwich into four or more sections with your serrated knife.
- Enjoy immediately or wrap in paper and take the sandwiches on-the-go.