The recipe and photography for this post were provided by our friends at Foods in Season.
This is a very quick and basic recipe for morels that easily adapts to almost any other kind of mushroom. It serves as a base for numerous other preparations like a quick bruschetta, a pasta sauce or an accompaniment to chicken, pork, beef and seafood. To clean morels, use a soft brush to loosen any pine needles and forest debris. Trim stems off.
Simple Sautéed Morels
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 pound morel mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- lemon juice
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook till golden brown, about one minute.
- Add trimmed and cleaned morels and cook over high heat till done, about five minutes. The morels should be soft.
- Add chopped herbs and season with sea salt and pepper and a small squeeze of fresh lemon juice. To make a bit more creamy, add a splash of water or chicken stock and let cook for a few seconds.
- For the herbs, we recommend using fresh parsley, thyme and rosemary. We encourage you to experiment and find the flavors you love.