The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Slow Cooker Lasagna is an easy recipe for your favorite lasagna. This Italian dish cooks in your Crockpot while you go about your day. It is hearty and flavorful, using ground sausage and beef, rich tomatoes, vegetables and a creamy cheese mixture.
Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 – 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 – 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 – 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 9-10 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (part-skim)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley ( for garnish)
- Fresh Basil ( for garnish)
- In a large pot heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and the sausage, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook until it is browned, about 5 minutes. Drain the fat and return to the pot.
- Add in the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano and thyme and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese, 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese and mix well.
- Spray your slow cooker with a non-stick spray.
- In the slow cooker, spread an even layer of the meat sauce on the bottom. Layer three noodles on top of the sauce, breaking them as you need to make them fit. Follow with another even layer of meat sauce, then the cheese mixture, then noodles. Repeat two more times. You should end with sauce on top of noodles.
- Spread the 1 remaining cup of mozzarella cheese over top of the sauce.
- Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, or until the cheese is just bubbling and the noodles are soft. Make sure not to overcook or the noodles will become tough.
- Remove the lid, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, fresh parsley and basil. Serve warm.