It’s a good thing to start thinking ahead to summer before the kids get out of school. With a few basics, you’ll jump into summertime feeling READY for it all!
It’s such a nice break to go from school days to summer days with the kids. However, I find it to be even harder to keep the house clean and make meals since we are outside all day long! If you have these 10 things on hand before school lets out, you’ll make the transition to summer a smooth one!
1. Peanut Butter & Jelly
Peanut butter and jelly is a staple in our house, especially for the summer. PB&Js taste even better after a long day at the pool. We look for Heinen’s Organic Peanut Butter without added sugar and use Crofter’s Organic Jelly. The simple PB&J can get a little boring over time, so switch it up with these ideas:
- Simple Mills Crackers and PB&J
- Rice Cakes and PB&J (sprinkle Chia Seeds for an added punch of protein and healthy fats)
- Maria & Ricardo Organic Wraps and PB&J (it’s much easier to sprinkle Chia Seeds in here – the kids won’t even notice!)
- Sliced Apples and PB&J
- Rudi’s Organic Hot Dog Buns and PB&J (So different, right? Our kids laughed at me when I did this before, but thought it tasted good!)
2. lunchskins Recyclable + Sealable Paper Quart Bags
Snacks are a must-have for summertime! The kids burn so much energy and I love that about summer. Zip and close paper snack bags are eco-friendly and do the trick to keep snacks fresh and ready to go when you need them. Find them next to the saran wrap at Heinen’s.
3. Healthy Drinks
Kids are more worried about playing than eating and drinking, so we have to be intentional about making sure they stay hydrated and drink enough – and don’t forget about yourself, mama!
Of course, water is the best. You can flavor your water with fresh strawberries, lemons, limes, watermelon and mint. Here are a few of my favorite drinks (for myself and the kids) found at Heinen’s:
- For the parents: Evolution Greens juices, Garden of Life juices, Kombucha, MINT, Vital Protein Collagen (to add to your water)
- For the kids: Honest Organic Juice, Body Armor (high in sugar, so dilute with 50% water), MINT and Organic Gatorade.
4. Cleaning Supplies
- Cleaning: Better Life Kitchen & Bath Scrubber, Better Life All-Purpose Cleaner, Seventh Generation Disinfecting Wipes and Seventh Generation All-Purpose Cleaner
- Laundry: Seventh Generation Liquid Laundry Detergent (Fragrance-Free), ALL Free & Clear or Dan’s Soap
5. Essential Oils
Essential oils are great for a lot of things! Here are a few of my favorite uses and blends:
- Diffuse Organic Lavender, Peppermint and Lemon if you’re having seasonal allergies when the pollen count is high.
- Diffuse Organic Lavender for 20 minutes before bed for a good night’s rest.
- Citronella essential oil is great for keeping the mosquitos away, so diffuse outside wherever you’re sitting for another way to keep the bugs away!
Need I say more? When you’re little ones are up and ready to roll into a busy summer day at the crack of dawn, fuel up on good quality coffee in the morning, like Bulletproof. Bulletproof is free from toxins and the best way to start your day.
7. Hydrogen Peroxide & Band-Aids
Summertime comes along with scrapes, cuts and bruises. There is something about a mother’s huge and a Band-Aid that does the trick to get your kid to stop crying and get back outside with their friends. Clean cuts with hydrogen peroxide! Peroxide also gets blood out of clothes if you treat the fabric right before you place it in the washing machine.
8. Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellent
With the hot sun comes the need for sunscreen. Heinen’s carries different options for sunscreens, and we like to use Alba. Don’t forget about the mosquito repellent! It’s right next to the sunscreen at Heinen’s.
9. Fruits and Veggies
“Eat your Water.” Drinking a lot of water is essential for summer and so is eating a lot of fruits and veggies. They contain so much water and also tons of phytonutrients, minerals and vitamins (naturally). Watermelon is a staple i our house during the summer as it makes for the best hydrating snack! Get creative if you’re up for it and use muffin tin trays to serve a variety of fruits and vegetables to your kids. Let them know that we should be “eating the rainbow” every day.
Last but not least, the all time kid favorite! We like to buy our popsicles as well as make them, for convenience. To make popsicles, just take leftover smoothie and add it to a popsicle mold and freeze until it’s ready to eat. Heinen’s carries our favorite brand, Froozers. The ingredients are simple, real food – just fruit!
As far as cooking goes, if you tucked those favorite crock pot recipes away, pull them back out for the summer! On days you know you will be gone and expending a lot of energy – it’s okay to not want to cook when you walk through the door. Prep your ingredients and crock pot in the morning so that dinner is ready for you. That’s the best feeling!
Cheers to a healthy, hot and wonderful summer!