The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Tuscan White Bean Soup is a hearty, comforting soup that will fill you up during the cold months. Fresh vegetables, protein-packed beans and flavorful bacon create a dish you are sure to love. Add your favorite fresh herbs for extra flavor and serve it with a side of your favorite crusty bread to soak up all of those delicious juices!
Tuscan White Bean Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped into halves
- 2 – 15 oz. cans of cannellini or great northern beans (undrained)
- 8 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 Parmesan rind (optional)
- Parsley ( for garnish)
- Parmesan cheese ( for garnish)
- Crusty Bread ( for serving)
- In a large pot over medium heat add the bacon. Cook the bacon until it is crisp and cooked through. Remove from the bacon from the pot and place on a plate lined with a paper towel. Set aside. At this point, you can either drain the bacon fat from the pot or you can keep about 1 Tbsp. in the pot to add flavor to the soup.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onion. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for another 2 minutes. Add in the carrots and celery and sauté for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the zucchini, white beans, oregano, thyme, basil, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, chicken or vegetable broth and optional Parmesan rind.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the kale and let wilt. Stir the bacon back into the soup.
- Remove the Parmesan rind if you used one. Serve the soup in small bowls garnished with parsley, fresh Parmesan cheese. Serve with crusty bread.