The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Bread Over Heels, a food scientist and blogger. For more of her recipes and baking tips, visit her website or her Instagram @breadoverheels.
Just in time for the holidays, these Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Candied Bacon and Pecans add some excitement to the traditional side dish. My family has always made a Sweet Potato casserole on Thanksgiving, and I channeled that casserole in this recipe by including chopped pecans in the filling and miniature marshmallows on top. The addition of candied bacon adds a nuanced saltiness to balance out the sweet. Twice baking the potatoes allows for a creamy, smooth filling enveloped in the potato skin. I can’t wait to make this recipe again for my family at Thanksgiving!
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Candied Bacon and Pecans
- 4 large sweet potatoes, about 3.5 lbs. total
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 pieces bacon
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- Ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes and place on baking sheet. Prick holes throughout sweet potato with a fork and rub with canola oil. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until fork-tender, flipping over once or twice during bake time.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, prepare candied bacon. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and place an oven-safe wire rack on top of parchment paper. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons brown sugar with a dash of ground black pepper. Coat each bacon strip in brown sugar mixture and place on rack. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until browned to desired doneness. Let cool completely and chop into small pieces.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Slice in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the majority of the sweet potato flesh into a large bowl, leaving a small edge of flesh next to the skin.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F. Bake sweet potato skins for 10-15 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and dash pepper to the sweet potato bowl. Melt 3 tablespoons butter, add to the bowl and stir to combine. Pulse pecans in a food processor until completely smooth. Stir in crushed pecans.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Refill sweet potato skins with filling mixture. Gently press mini marshmallows on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until marshmallows are lightly browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped candied bacon. Serve warm and enjoy!