When it comes to satisfying plant-based meals, curries are consistent winners in my house. They’re hearty, warmly-spiced and nourishing – everything we want to eat during the winter months. While curries traditionally call for a number of ingredients and spices, I’ll cut corners during the week with a few shortcut ingredients that save me major time.
For this recipe, I’m using Heinen’s Recipe Ready Cubed Butternut Squash to save me the step of peeling and cutting a squash. And with ingredients like coconut milk, lemongrass and red chilies, Tiger Tiger Thai Red Curry Simmer Sauce delivers all the flavor in a fraction of the time. This sauce is slightly spicy, but we find the “heat” is tempered by the creaminess of the butternut squash and the final dish is not overly hot.
I opted for Heinen’s Cooked Organic Brown Rice this time, which conveniently re-heats in the microwave in minutes. Such a weeknight time-saver! Try this or one of their other microwavable grains like white rice or quinoa, which you can find in the rice aisle.
Curried Squash with Chickpeas
Prep Time: <5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Heinen’s Recipe Ready Cubed Butternut Squash (12 ounces)
- Tiger Tiger Thai Red Curry Simmer Sauce
- Heinen’s Organic Garbanzo Beans, drained
- 5 oz. Heinen’s Baby Spinach
- Heinen’s Cooked Organic Brown Rice (1-2 containers)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat coconut oil in a medium saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butternut squash and sauté for 5 minutes, or until it begins to brown around the edges.
- Stir in the simmer sauce and garbanzo beans and bring to a simmer.
- Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until squash is fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and stir in spinach; cook until spinach just wilts, 1-2 minutes.
- Re-heat brown rice according to package directions. Divide rice among bowls and top with curry. Serve garnished with cilantro.